Callaway Plein Air
Sign Up for the Art House Newsletter
"Water Under the Bridge"
Stinson Creek, MO
Callaway Plein Air 2017 ... See MoreSee Less
Open Drawing Tonight with Jane Mudd!
• Wednesday, June 21, 6:00-8:00pm
• Intermediate to advanced artists are welcome to participate in this open drawing session held on the third Wednesday evening of each month. Bring your own drawing materials in any medium. Jane will set up a still life, or some sessions may have a live model (with additional nominal fee). Jane will be on hand to offer guidance or critique those who ask. Please call to sign up, limited to 15.
• Ages 18 and over, $10 suggested donation ... See MoreSee Less
Callaway Plein Air is a four-day plein air painting event followed by a two-month long exhibit of the work created during the event. The event is hosted by the Art House at 531 Court Street in downtown Fulton, Missouri’s historic Brick District. Fifty artists converge on Callaway County to find artistic inspiration in the small-town charm of historical buildings, the diverse prairies and countryside of Callaway County and the wide Missouri River and valley.
Callaway Plein Air is held over the fourth weekend of May each year. The dates for the 2017 event are May 25-28, with the Wet Paint Reception, which is open to the public, on the evening of Sunday, May 28. The submissions from the event will be exhibited at Art House through July 29.
Art House is pleased to announce the event Judge for 2017 is Josh Crow.
Josh Crow is painter from central Missouri. He studied Illustration at Rhode Island School of Design and Painting at Indiana University. The majority of his current work is studio-based, often times large scale and spans a variety of subjects and environments. However, plein air painting was where things started for Josh. When learning how to use oils, painting from life was always a focus. Much like drawing from observation, there is an element that makes for a challenging but also rewarding experience. The aim would be to find out how you will translate what is in front of you in your own personal way into paint on canvas.
Josh is currently based out of Belle, Missouri, where he is involved with a non-profit arts organization that provides spaces for artists to develop their work through a residency program. He exhibits his work at various events and sells to mostly private collectors. This June he will be a participant in the top ranked Old Town Art Fair in Chicago.
Pre-Event Workshop: Award winning artist Lorraine McFarland is holding a two-day Plein Air – Pastel Painting workshop at Prairie Garden Trust, May 23-24. For more information and to register, please visit Lorraine’s web site. A portion of the proceeds from the workshop benefit Art House.
Thursday, May 25 “Flower Day”
- 7:00am — Registration opens at Art House
- 10:00am-12:30pm — Painting Workshop by Judge, Josh Crow at Mertens’ property garden. Workshop includes demo and one-on-one instruction.
- Afternoon suggested flora/fauna painting locations, including Rockpost Gardens, Humphreys Vineyard, Prairie Fork, Prairie Garden Trust
- 6:30pm — Sunset Paint at Serenity Valley Winery (brown bag dinner or eat before)
Friday, May 26 “Creeks, Lakes, Rivers Day”
- 8:00am — Registration open at Art House
- Suggested morning painting locations, including Noren River Access, Portland and Mokane River Accesses
- 1:00pm — Lunch meet-up at Mokane Bar & Grill
- Suggested afternoon painting locations — Stinson Creek & Trail, Truman Lake
- 6:00pm-7:30pm — Artist Meet & Greet Cocktail Hour (Bring in completed paintings)
Saturday, May 27 “Paint the Town Day”
- 8:00am — Registration open at Art House
- Suggested morning painting locations include Brick District, Farmers Market, surrounding neighborhoods
- 1:00 — lunch meet-up at Brick District eateries (see FAQ for list)
- Suggested afternoon painting locations Stinson Creek & Trail, Church of St. Mary, Aldermanbury, at Westminster College, old Train Depot (and goats)
- 6:30pm — Saturday night meet-up at 1851 Underground
Sunday, May 28 “Quick Paint Day”
- 9:00am — Registration open at Art House
- 9:30am-12:00pm — timed Quick Paint (location to be announced)
- 2:00pm — Paintings due!
- 2:00-5:00pm — Artist Happy Hour at Milton’s Bar
- 4:00-5:00pm — VIP Reception & Adjudication (artists not permitted)
- 5:00-7:00pm — Awards Ceremony and Wet Paint Reception (open to the public)
Artist: View and print FAQ and more event details here. Updated 5/4/2017.
Artist registration is open! Please fill out the entire form and click the submit button at the bottom. You will receive an email confirmation within two days. The event is limited to the first 50 artists who register and pay the entry fee. Entry fees are non-refundable.
Artist registration fee is $50. Use the Pay Now link below to pay online with a credit card (no PayPal account required), call to pay over the phone (573) 592-7733 or mail a check to 531 Court Street, Fulton, MO 65251.