Sign Up for the Art House Newsletter
Fine Art: The Art House gallery has teamed with established artists and art professors to provide classes from introductory to advanced levels in various styles of painting, pottery, mixed media and other fine arts. From beginners to serious students, the experienced and talented Art House faculty will offer programs that will enlighten all to the wonders of art and give you the instruction you need to master a new skill.
Private Instruction: Interested in improving your drawing skills or painting in colored pencil or watercolor? Artist I. Lynn Garriott Porter also offers one-on-one lessons at Art House. Contact us for more information or to set up a class.
Private Group Parties: Looking for a unique holiday, birthday or family reunion party idea? How about a great team-building experience for your office? Art House offers group art classes in which you are guided step-by-step in creating your own masterpiece. We have instructors in different mediums capable of teaching various group sizes. If your group is too large to fit into our classroom area, Art House instructors may be able to come to you. Find a suitable location and contact us to start planning your large group party.
Fun Art: We host a series of art classes that celebrate the pure joy and creativity of making art. These classes range from paints on canvas to Zen doodling and more. Students are invited to bring beverages and snacks, let loose and have fun! Designed to be fun for all ages. Check the calendar, then call ahead to sign up.
NEW CLASSES FOR 2018
Check back for updates regularly.
We are looking for your feedback on classes you would like to take.
Please help us to meet your art class desires by taking a minute to complete our Art House Classes Survey Click here.
Or scan our code here
Plans are forming for an upcoming Art House students art exhibit.
Sign up for a summer class, in which you create your own original design or composition, and your artwork could be eligible to exhibit.
Watch our website for more information to come!
July 5, 12, 19, and 26 Open Play with Clay with I. Lynn Garriott Porter,
5:30 pm-7 pm, all ages, $15 covers 2 sessions
Each Thursday evening, 5:30pm-7pm, in July (July 5, 12, 19, and 26) I. Lynn Garriott Porter will hold an open Play with Clay (Air Dry Clay) Open for all ages, $15 covers 2 sessions and all supplies.
Come create small bowls, plates, ring holders, figures, etc. with air dry clay. Let your imagination guide you in creating something fun and/or useful.
Those that choose to create a toothbrush holder will receive a dental goody bag. Sponsored by:
Fulton Dental Clinic, St. George Family Dental, Callaway Dental Care, Michael Basnett, DDS,and Gray Duck Dentistry
First Session is to create in Clay. Then come back a week later to paint your creation. All supplies provided.
07/14/18 Watercolor Explorations Creating Textures with I. Lynn Garriott Porter,
9:30 am-3:30 pm, ages 12+, $50
- This month our focus will be on painting various textures such as wood, rust, rocks, water, and more.
- The morning session will focus on creating small . 5×7 paintings exploring different textures.
- Class will break for lunch around 11:45 am and resume at 12:45 pm.
- The afternoon session will allow the students to combine what they learned earlier into one pleasing painting.
- Lynn will supply all art materials and instruction to aid them in creating a pleasing painting that they can later frame.
07/20/18 Southwest Oil Painting with Janis Burgin, 5 pm-8 pm, ages 12 +, $49
- Under the guidance of Janis Burgin each student will create this Southwest Painting in oil on a 16″x20″ canvas.
- All art supplies provided and included in cost.
- Bring your own favorite beverage and/or snack as well as your family, friends, and/or coworkers.
- Call to sign up in advance, so instructor knows how many canvases to prepare.
(Early Bird Discount if register before July 7)
07/21/18 & 07/22/18 Pastel Workshop with Lorraine McFarland, 9 am-4 pm, ages 18+,
Two Days $160 Early Bird Discount of $150, if register BEFORE July 7
- Single Day registration with Instructor APPROVAL ONLY call 573-578-1559
- You will learn about materials, supplies, the importance of design, composition and value. Lorraine will demonstrate technique.
- Content is suitable for artists of all levels. Students will work from photos with Lorraine’s guidance.
- For more information and to print out a SUPPLY LIST, go to www.lorrainemcfarlandart.com/workshops Pastels will be supplied to students who don’t bring their own for a fee of $15 (payable to Lorraine on the day of the workshop – separate from registration fee).Special paper will be required and will be available for purchase at the workshop.
- “Acrylic pour” abstract paintings on wood panel Students create unique painting using a combination of acrylic paint, glue, and silicone on a wood panel or canvas.
- Participants will be able to pick-up their painting the next day after it dries.
- A small canvas (10”x10”) only if customers prefer a canvas over a wood panel
- Students will create 6-7 jewelry sized pieces in glass with Janis’s guidance.
07/30/18 Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain with Jane, 5 pm-8 pm, ages 18+- This class is a precursor to the Composition and the Art of the Brush Stroke taught on Aug. 6th.
**If you pay in advance for both classes, you get a discount. Both Classes are $75 total. If you only take the drawing class, you pay $35 for it. If you only take the painting class, you pay $55 for it.
- Using Betty Edwards’ book as inspiration, students will explore approaches that will help them to draw what they see-not what they know.
- These exercises will also help skilled artists to loosen up and embrace uncertainty and self-expression.
- This class is a precursor to the painting workshop Jane will teach the following week.
- Jane will supply all drawing materials for this class.
Classes are still forming so watch for updates.
08/06/18 Composition and the Art of the Brush Stroke with Jane Mudd, 10 am-3 pm, ages 18+, This is the follow-up class to Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain with Jane.
**If you pay in advance for both classes you get a discount. Both Classes are $75 total. If you only take the drawing class you pay $35 for it, or if you only take the painting class you pay $55 for that.
- Students will learn the importance of hat makes an exciting and visually appealing composition.
- Jane will present examples and demonstrate the importance of considering negative space while setting up a painting.
- Students will also learn how to describe forms with the brush stroke. This is a lesson about making your brushstrokes count, saying a lot with a little, and how to use the full potential of the brush!
- Participants will explore a variety of subjects.
- Students are responsible for bringing their own supplies: Oil paint is recommended but any water based medium is fine too. A variety of brushes in various sizes, one or two painting surfaces no larger than 16×20 max.(canvas, canvas board, prepped hard board panels, paper, etc).
- Bring a sack lunch.
08/18/18 Glass Fusing with Janis Burgin, 9am-Noon Create, Ages 14+, $60
- Come back and pick fired pieces by 5pm.
- Students will create 6-7 jewelry sized pieces in glass with Janis’s guidance.
08/25/18 Beginning Calligraphy Class & Illumination with India Marie Knowles,10 am-Noon,ages 12+, $40
*Students are not required to have taken the previous class…but if they did…Marie would like them to bring with them their pen and their folder she provided them at the first session.
- Marie will provide instruction on Beginning Calligraphy and Illumination of a Letter.
- Handouts will be provided.
- Please bring: pencil,eraser, and lined paper or graph paper.
- Calligraphy pens and other supplies will be provided
- If you plan to continue with calligraphy following the class, I recommend calligraphy pens made by Shaeffer or Manuscript Pen Company. These utilize ink cartridges, and you may want to purchase a package of these that are the same brand as your pen.
08/25/18 Watercolor and Zentangle with I. Lynn Garriott Porter, 1:30 pm-4:00 pm, ages 12+, $35
- Lynn will guide students in the fun of watercolor and ink. All art materials provided.
- Stencils will be provided for students to choose from, if they wish, and Lynn will guide them in using zentangle within or around their stenciled or hand drawn images
- Students can incorporate a message or use a monogram letter from what was learned in the calligraphy class that morning.
All students are asked to arrive 15 minutes prior to class start time and to come prepared to create. We can get messy so don’t wear your Sunday best and/or bring an old shirt or apron to protect your clothing.
While we do love additions of students to our classes, if a class is full in advance the instructor may not be able to accept walk-ins, so please call ahead. If not enough students sign up in advance for classes, instructors may cancel the class.
Payment in advance is preferred and sometimes required. This not only secures your spot and gives instructors a head count, but it enables the class to start on time. You may pay in person or call 573-592-7733 to pay with a credit card.