Sign Up for the Art House Newsletter
Fine Art: The Art House gallery has teamed with established artists and art professors to provide classes from introductory to advanced levels in various styles of painting, pottery, mixed media and other fine arts. From beginners to serious students, the experienced and talented Art House faculty will offer programs that will enlighten all to the wonders of art and give you the instruction you need to master a new skill.
Private Instruction: Interested in improving your drawing skills or painting in colored pencil or watercolor? Artist I. Lynn Garriott Porter offers one-on-one lessons at Art House. Contact us for more information or to set up a class.
Private Group Parties: Looking for a unique holiday, birthday or family reunion party idea? How about a great team-building experience for your office? Art House offers group art classes in which you are guided step-by-step in creating your own masterpiece. We have instructors in different mediums capable of teaching various group sizes. If your group is too large to fit into our classroom area, Art House instructors may be able to come to you. Find a suitable location and contact us to start planning your large group party.
Fun Art: We host a series of art classes that celebrate the pure joy and creativity of making art. These classes range from paints on canvas, acrylic pour, Play with Clay (air dry clay) to Zen doodling and more. Students are invited to bring beverages and snacks, let loose and have fun! Designed to be fun for all ages. Check the calendar, then call ahead to sign up.
|Open Drawing and Painting Night|
|October 16, 2019, 5:00-8:00pm|
|Instructor: Jane Mudd|
|$10, Ages 18+|
- In this monthly session, retired WWU Art Professor Jane Mudd offers her expertise to artists who want to improve their skills. Bring your own paper, charcoal, or other drawing or painting medium, along with your favorite drawing/painting surface, and your favorite beverage. These sessions are for intermediate to advanced artists. If you participated in a previous month in the session, you are encouraged to bring in your finished pieces, or other art for feedback.
- This open session is held on the third Wednesday of each month. No reservation required.
Sneak Peek at November Classes:
|Student Studio Night|
|November 14, 2019, 5:00-8:00pm|
|Instructor: Colleen Roetemeyer|
|$10 suggested donation; Ages 14+|
- This monthly class is meant for students of all levels of experience to enjoy making! Bring a current project (or ideas for a new one), your preferred supplies, and an open mind. Former FPS Art Teacher, Colleen Roetemeyer, will be available to encourage and assist in the artistic process.
- This walk-in class will be held on the second Thursday of each month. No reservation required.
|Watercolor Explorations: Small Works with Big Impact|
|November 16, 2019, Morning Session 9:30am-12pm with lunch 12-1pm; |
Afternoon Session 1pm-3:30pm
|Instructor: I. Lynn Garriott-Porter|
|$50 both sessions, $35 for one session ; Ages 12+ Reservation & advance payment required|
- In this monthly class, Lynn guides students in exploring some of the many techniques and effects watercolor, watercolor pencils, and ink have to offer. This month students will play with watercolors to create small abstracts or realistic pieces using negative space techniques, adding ink Zentangle, or adding realism to an abstract piece, as well fun textural pieces on different surfaces. Emphasis is on color and value. All materials are supplied. Lynn is an attentive teacher who will work closely with each student. Students will leave with a pleasing, frame-worthy painting.
|Acrylic Pour Painting|
|November 30, 2019, 11:00am-12:30pm|
|Instructor: Christine Sewell|
|$25; Ages 14+|
- Students will learn two different pouring techniques using acrylic colors, thinned with a pouring medium. They will learn how different techniques bring a different outcome as well as how movement of the paint affects design. Students should bring two canvases no larger than 11×14. If students have a few favorite acrylic colors they would like to use, they are welcome to do so but paint will be provided.
Check back soon for more class offerings. Don’t see a class you want to take? Contact Art House to coordinate a private group class or private individual class designed for you!
Note about art supplies: Garriott-Porter Art Studio, LLC, may have what you need! Conveniently located inside the Art House, there is even an Art House member discount. Check out the extensive product line here or follow on Facebook for more information.
Payment in advance is preferred and sometimes required. This not only secures your spot and gives instructors a head count, but it enables the class to start on time. You may pay in person or call 573-592-7733 to pay with a credit card.
All students are asked to arrive 15 minutes prior to class start time and to come prepared to create. We can get messy so don’t wear your Sunday best and/or bring an old shirt or apron to protect your clothing.
While we do love additions of students to our classes, if a class is full in advance the instructor may not be able to accept walk-ins, so please call ahead. If not enough students sign up in advance for classes, instructors may cancel the class.